Tuesday 15 June 2010

Thing 6 - (I've got to come up with something less predictable I know)

Yet again I find another thing which I've brushed with in the past without fully understanding, now makes a whole lot more sense, having investigated it for just a couple of minutes. It's terrible, but I now realise that my work use google calendar to keep a track of everyone's diaries, but I hadn't understood how to sign up. The truth is I've never really kept much of a diary, as I tend to reckon on having a good memory. However, I am recognising more and more that they do have benefits and being linked in with other people's diaries is certainly useful. I guess the busier people are, the more useful the google calendar is. In terms of libraries and their users, the feature could be beneficial, but I think libraries would often want to present their events or news in a much more slimmed down format, such as tweeting or a facebook post.

3 comments:

  1. If 90+ bloggers can come to a consensus, I get the feeling that our impressions of Google Calendar are broadly that "it some situations it's very very useful" (and those situations are often collaborative and/or public), but an awful lots of us are happy with paper diaries or our memories for our own personal use.

    Magistra et Mater (http://magistraetmater.blog.co.uk/) wrote an interesting and pragmatic post about the difference between potential and practical applications of Google Calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the greatest benefit of Google Calendar as opposed to a paper one is I can't lose it! Seem to spend half my time looking for my diary - but as yet I haven't managed to 'misplace' the internet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point. If I had a diary, I would most probably misplace it.

    ReplyDelete