Saturday 12 June 2010

Well the World Cup is in full flow, it's England vs USA, so what a perfect opportunity to catch up on my Cam 23 blogging!

Things 1&2
I enjoyed exploring iGoogle, a handy way of organising links to some key internet resources. It took me a little while to delete all the things iGoogle had helpfully put on my page before I got going, but then I was well away adding 'stuff' left right and centre. For some reason it took me ages to decide on the background theme (and in fact as it changes every so often, I do prefer some of the pictures I've had to the Sydney Opera House as it happens) The only problem is that there is only so much you can put on the main home page before it becomes cluttered and unmanageable. Obviously sub-pages such as 'Library stuff' can help to break this down and I've included my Cam23 newsfeed in my 'Library stuff'. I've discovered a few RSS feeds and added them to my iGoogle page, although unfortunately I haven't found a way of adding the English Faculty's one (any suggestions would be welcome!)



I've managed to do my screen shot too, so here is my iGoogle page pictured directly above. I'm working on a Mac, so I had to find my own instructions when capturing this (courtesy of Google). The Cam 23 team might want to bear this in mind for future instructions on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. If you're having trouble adding an RSS feed automatically, you can copy a feed address into the 'add a feed or gadget' box in the 'add stuff' part of iGoogle. Click on the link called 'add feed or gadget' at the bottom of the list on the left-hand side of the 'add stuff' page. Then copy the link for the RSS feed you're interested in (for the RSS feed of English Faculty News that's http://lib.english.cam.ac.uk/news/?feed=rss2), and it should be added to your iGoogle page.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much - that did help! I have now added the RSS feed. Great.

    ReplyDelete